1 School Road
PO Box 12
Telegraph Creek, B.C., V0J2W0
Tahltan School is located in Telegraph Creek, BC on Highway 51 approximately 112 kilometers southwest of Dease Lake. This small, close knit community is a few hours upstream from the Alaska border and is home to the Tahltan First Nation. Tahltan School has approximately 23 students in K-9. The school staff takes pride in the success of their students in all learning domains. The school embraces local culture through activities such as Tahltan language, art, and culture including living on the land, fishing and camping, and Tahltan dancing.
In partnership with parents and the community, Tahltan School will provide a safe, caring, orderly and challenging environment where students develop skills, knowledge, values and cultural identity to become healthy, lifelong learners and valuable members of their community and Canadian society.
Tahltan School has four core values: Respect, Independence, Kindness, Responsibility. Falling within the above are: positive encouragement and communication, embracing diversity, respect of self and others, doing your best, honoring culture, honesty, safety, empathy, forgiveness, generosity, fairness, pride, dignity, and trust.
As a team we will develop and maintain a positive productive working relationship that is engaging and promotes lifelong learning. The students we work with will develop personal and academic efficacy. The staff will develop a high degree of self and professional efficacy. We will have a school where students achieve their goals and staff continuously develop and demonstrate an understanding & respect for diversity, selfdetermination, integrated cultural learning, rigorous experiential learning, the effects of trauma on learning, behavioural delays, as well as demonstrate an effective ability to provide ongoing meaningful and purposeful teaching and learning for students to reach their potential.
- A positive, challenging environment encourages learning. All learners should be supported and nurtured in reaching their potential academically, physically, socially and culturally.
- An atmosphere of safety permits growth.
- Character qualities such as respect, kindness, caring, honesty, fairness, integrity and good judgment are important for life success.
- Teamwork develops individual potential and personal fulfillment.
- Collaboration and consistency between school, parents and community creates a healthy school and strengthens the community.
- Parents are the first and most important teachers of a child.
- Cultural identity and academic achievement are equally important.
- Everyone is valued for their unique qualities and diversity is embraced.
Meet the Staff